Friday, 2 May 2014

That Hipster vibe & 50s Inspiration



Welcome to the 50s! A popular craze in the fashion industry lately. Many designers are being influenced by the 50s, and the look is being worn by many popular celebrities such as Katy perry, Zack Efron, Drake Bell, Justin Beiber, Bruno Mars, and heaps of others. It has slowly seeped its way into casual street wear, including things like outrageous sunnies, head scarves, 3/4 jeans, sneakers, longer skirts, letterman jackets, floral prints, and even cardigans. It's all coming back and it's all appearing on models all throughout NY fashion week, and in spring styles for 2014.                                                     
 Casual teen fashion now a days seems to be 
quite a "hipster" thing to be a part of. When I look for fashion in the community or when shopping, I just seem to find a whole heap of adults wearing what normal adults wear, along with kids that are wearing a pumpkin patch T-shirt with some Kmart jeans or something along those lines. There is almost nothing inspiration wise for teens! Except the store adverts, who's looks vary between shops and it can be questionable whether I want to look like that, seeing that similar to 95% of the teenage population, I do not have a supermodel figure. And except tumblr, where again, a lot of those girls look 'perfect'. I take inspiration from people I see on the internet, people I see in the community, and the people I interact with at school. Seeing that I am constantly reminded of how expensive clothes are at the moment, I am trying to pull a "Gok Wan" and find key garments that will contribute to my wardrobe attire. The only problem with that is I am now on the look out for items of clothing from my peers and from people around me. Yet I'm finding almost no inspiration. I went to a little cafe off of the main streets of Auckland city, and I found an amazing new world of what some might call a hipster crowd. It was full of people of all different races, almost all sitting there with wacky sunglasses and skinny jeans, and they almost all had iPhones, MacBook laptops, the works! It was amazing. I saw a few different groups of people who's style I particularly loved. Scarves, patterned leggings, band t shirts,  massively oversized large knit jumpers, amazing bags and purses, some pretty funny coffee cup covers, overalls, gorgeous notebooks, and they all seemed very up to date with the fashion scene. I glanced at one or two labels poking out and a few were brands I'd never heard, and a lot of them were cotton on. I went to my local cotton on store which had only filled a space in the mall to me before that, and I wished I could have bought the whole store. They have very unique clothes that I love, and they also have quite good prices too..... Ok I don't want this to turn into a post that promotes stores, although I think you all should shop there because it is really cool. 


That's enough for today. Keep it classy, 

Becks


No comments:

Post a Comment